Should you be using paraffin wax or soy wax candles? In a world where we have become more careful about what we expose our bodies to, being well informed is our greatest strength. To help you make the choice about which candles to buy, we’ve put together these facts about both paraffin and soy candles.
The Paraffin Wax Verses Soy Wax Candles Debate
Candles have been around for centuries, helping to light up the dark, decorate our homes, celebrate at birthdays and ‘set the mood.’ Surely something so traditional doesn’t need a debate around which type to use, does it?
Well, since they first appeared around 200BC in Han China, the materials from which candles have been made have changed, and thanks to the discovery of crude oil and the manufacturer of petroleum type products, many candles made today contain paraffin wax.
But the tide is turning, with the popularity of soy wax candles growing because they:
- Burn cleaner, with next to no soot produced
- Are 100% natural and made from soybeans, a renewable resource
- Have a longer burn time of between 30-50%, ensuring you can enjoy your soy candles for longer
- Have a lower melting point and when they contain added scents, soy candles have a stronger fragrance
- Are 100% biodegradable and is spilt, soy wax cleans up easily with soap and water
In comparison, paraffin wax candles are less popular because they:
- Have a ‘dirty’ burn and do produce soot
- Are a by-product of the petroleum industry, which itself uses up non-sustainable fossil fuel resources
- May contain harmful chemicals and substance which are released when burnt
- Burn hot and when spilt, the wax is very difficult to clean up
- Are fast to burn, which means less time using the candle and less value for money
We think the facts speak for themselves, and we are 100% pro soy wax candles! We’d love for you to enjoy the beautiful aromas of one, two or ten of our hand poured soy candles too! Come into the store to awaken your senses with our scented soy candle collection and pick out some to take home. Or you can order online from anywhere around the country – and if you want some help in choosing which fragrances to buy, we can help you with that too.